This week at the RBE Library, 2nd graders came to the library to read, think about, and do some fun stations about Fairy Tales & Fables.
The students rotated between 3 stations over the course of 45 minutes. At each station they got to watch a video of me reading the book and look at the book during the video. They also completed 1 of 3 activities at each station that correlated with their Reading TEKS: a Venn Diagram over a Fractured Fairy Tale and the original story, identifying the moral lesson in a Fable, and identifying the story elements from a Fractured Fairy Tale (Setting, Characters, Problem, & Solution). Click Here for the Activity Page. Click Here for the Station Signs.
The books that I used for this activity are as follows:
Fairy Tale Story Elements
- Little Red : a fizzingly good yarn retold by Lynn Roberts ; illustrated by David Roberts
- Waking Beauty by Leah Wilcox ; illustrated by Lydia Monks
Fractured vs. Classic Fairy Tales
- Goldilocks and just one bear by Leigh Hodgkinson
- Bubba the cowboy prince : a fractured Texas tale written by Helen Ketteman ; illustrated by James Warhola
Fables for the Moral Lesson
- Mabela the clever retold by Margaret Read MacDonald ; illustrated by Tim Coffey
- Tops & bottoms adapted and illustrated by Janet Stevens